But we do have the running order courtesy of Popscene and some Youtube clips (though not necessarily from the 17th April edition):~
The Selecter are told who is presenting this week's show...
Top of the Pops 17-4-80: Presenter: Jimmy Savile
(14) LEON HAYWOOD – Don’t Push It, Don’t Force It (and charts)
His one and only UK hit almost at its peak of 12 in the charts.
(37) PHIL LYNOTT – Dear Miss Lonely Hearts
Phil's first solo single but this didn't quite make the top 30.
(11) BARBARA DICKSON – January February ®
A repeat showing for this song now at its peak in the charts.
(50) GIRL – Hollywood Tease
The only charting single for this UK group, and their Top of the Pops performance didn't do them any good, Hollywood Tease got no higher than 50 in the charts. You can see a few seconds of it in the Legs & Co clip below..
(2) BLONDIE – Call Me (danced to by Legs & Co)
Legs & Co dance to Blondie once more, and Call Me would be number one next week.
(19) B.A. ROBERTSON – Kool In The Kaftan ®
A repeat showing here for Kool in the Kaftan almost at its peak of number 17.
(26) THE SELECTER – Missing Words ®
Another repeat showing, and Missing Words peaked at 23.
(51) THE RUTS – Staring At The Rude Boys
This was to become the band's third and final top 30 hit.
(8) THE PRETENDERS – Talk Of The Town (video)
Now at it's chart peak.
(12) DEXY’S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS – Geno
Still climbing and on its way to number one.
(34) THE NOLANS – Don’t Make Waves
This follow up to I'm in the Mood for Dancing also did quite well, making it to number 12.
(4) UB40 – Food For Thought
At its peak now in the charts.
(47) SHAM 69 – Tell The Children
This one was their final single to chart, making it to 45.
(1) THE DETROIT SPINNERS – Working My Way Back To You – Forgive Me Girl (Medley) (video)
A final week at number on for this last hurrah of the 70's.
(30) BOBBY THURSTON – Check Out The Groove (and credits)
Bobby's one and only UK hit, and it would make the top ten.