You know you're wasting your time..
22-5-80: Presenter: Mike Read
(25) LIPPS INC – Funky Town
Playing over the charts this week is Lipps Inc with their only UK hit, reaching number 2 and becoming one of the sounds of the summer.....
(48) THE LAMBRETTAS – D-a-a-ance
With their follow-up to Poison Ivy ~ not a great song to get the show underway but it somehow made it to number 12.
(3) MICHAEL JACKSON – She’s Out Of My Life (video)
This fourth and final top ten hit from his Off the Wall album was now at its peak in the charts.
(32) U.K. SUBS – Teenage
A typically raucous performance here of the second of three top 40 hits in 1980 for thirty-somethings punk band the UK Subs.
(27) JONA LEWIE – You’ll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties
A second time in the studio for Jona and this time they've kitted out a state of the art kitchen for him and the girls (are they different girls to last time?).
(52) KAREL FIALKA – The Eyes Have It
Karel had a bucket list that included things like climbing Mount Everest and having a top ten hit single. He didn't make it with The Eyes Have It but he did get there seven years later with Hey Mathew. Don't know if he ever made it up Everest....
(18) THE SPECIALS – Rat Race (video)
Released just in time for the summer exams, this is perhaps not the most positive message from the Specials, though the song is reportedly more about wasting your time down in the student union bar. (Surely that could never be considered a waste of time :-)
(45) COCKNEY REJECTS – I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles
The West Ham cup winning tribute was edited out of the 7.30pm show.
(10) GARY NUMAN – We Are Glass (video)
Was also edited out unfortunately. Shattered.
(35) JUNIOR MURVIN – Police And Thieves
And somebody from the BBC came and stole this one too.
(17) AVERAGE WHITE BAND – Let’s Go Round Again
Another victim of the dreaded 7.30pm axe.
(6) LEGS & CO ~ this week perform an apocalyptic dance to the Theme From M*A*S*H (Suicide Is Painless) by The Mash. The song was originally recorded in 1969 but became a hit in 1980 when Noel Edmonds for some reason began playing it on his radio 1 Sunday morning show ~ just as he had done a few months earlier with Captain Beaky.
(26) MATCHBOX – Midnite Dynamos ®
A repeat showing from the 8th May show (couldn't we have seen Gary Numan instead?)
(1) JOHNNY LOGAN – What’s Another Year? ®
A final week a number one for Johnny, with the first of a mini run of consecutive Eurovision winners that would make it to the top spot (Bucks Fizz, Nicole).
(23) JERMAINE JACKSON – Let’s Get Serious (and credits)
Have two brothers ever been featured on the same show before with two different songs? This was Jermaine's first hit in the UK.
Next week then is where we reach the end of a Top of the Pops era. Maybe for the show the 29th May 1980 really does mark where the 70's finally come an end. But before the 80's can begin there's the little matter of a 10 week strike......