It gives us a little glimpse of the great music we were missing during June and July whilst the show was off the air ~ Kate Bush, ELO, Bob Marley to name but a few but oh to have seen the incredible Splodgenessabounds........
Can we have some service over here please, thank you!
9-7-80: Presenters: Peter Powell & B.A. Robertson (TOTP Pilot)
(14) SAXON – 747 (Strangers In The Night) WATCH
A number 13 hit and their follow up to Wheels of Steel
(2) ODYSSEY – Use It Up And Wear It Out (danced to by Legs & Co)
Many thanks to Manorak for alerting me to the presence of this clip ~ WATCH
(11) PAUL McCARTNEY – Waterfalls (video) WATCH
This follow up to Coming Up made it to number 9, both from his number one album McCartney II.
(21) THIN LIZZY – Chinatown WATCH
Now at its peak in the charts.
(22) LEO SAYER – More Than I Can Say WATCH
On its way to number 2 in the charts, his first top ten hit for nearly two years.
(16) KATE BUSH – Babooshka (video) WATCH
The second single from her number one album, Never Forever, Babooshka got to number 5.
(24) DARTS – Let’s Hang On (video) WATCH
This became the band's final top 20 hit.
(10) SPLODGENESSABOUNDS – Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps Please (still picture) WATCH
Another one of those songs that began as a B side (to Simon Templer) but became a hit, this one reaching number 7, the group's only top ten.
(9) BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS – Could You Be Loved (live clip) WATCH
Bob's first top ten hit for two years.
(8) THE KORGIS – Everybody’s Got To Learn Sometime (video) WATCH
The follow up hit to If I Had You - made it to number 5, their only top ten.
(7) UB40 – My Way Of Thinking (sound dubbed over clip of TOTP 17-4-80) WATCH
The follow up to Food for Thought - reached number 6.
(6) LIPPS INC – Funky Town (still picture) WATCH
One hit wonder which reached number 2.
(5) THE DETROIT SPINNERS – Cupid (live clip) WATCH
Body Language had followed up their number one from earlier this year, but it only made it to 40 in the charts ~ this one did ten times better.
(4) DON McLEAN – Crying (video) WATCH
His first hit for 7 years and his second of two number ones.
(3) STACY LATTISAW – Jump To The Beat (still picture) WATCH
With her only top ten hit, now at its peak in the charts.
(2) ODYSSEY – Use It Up And Wear It Out (still picture) WATCH
Their first hit since Native New Yorker in 1977, and it became their only number one.
(1) OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN & ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA – Xanadu (still picture) WATCH
ELO had 15 top ten hits but this was their only number one. Olivia had 11 top ten hits which included 3 number ones, though non of them solo.
(29) CHANGE – A Lover’s Holiday (and credits) WATCH
This became the first of two top 20 hits in 1980 for Change.
So next week then the strike is over (much more quickly than it was 35 years ago!) and it's that first new era Top of the Pops from August 7th 1980.