Oh no no no, I can't get no Top of the Pops!
Top of the Pops 10th July 1980
Hosted by Peter Powell
(5) DETROIT SPINNERS ~ Cupid
Over the charts this week is the final top ten hit for the Detroit Spinners.
(44) THE VAPOURS ~ News at Ten
Their follow-up to Turning Japanese was not so successful, getting no higher than 44.
(24) DARTS ~ Let's Hang On
A breath of fresh air when we first saw them towards the end of 1977, but less then three years later they seem tired and old hat with their final hit of note.
(14) SAXON - 747 (Strangers In The Night)
This one flew to just one place higher in the charts.
(20) ROLLING STONES - Emotional Rescue
The title track from their number one album, this was to become their penultimate top ten hit.
(18) JOY DIVISION - Love Will Tear Us Apart
Their only top 20 hit, peaking at 13 in the charts.
(22) LEO SAYER – More Than I Can Say
Almost made it to number one for Leo, this was also his penultimate top ten hit.
(7) UB40 – My Way Of Thinking
Peaked at 6.
(2) ODYSSEY – Use It Up And Wear It Out
This one just had to be the Legs & Co routine!
(16) KATE BUSH – Babooshka
The second of three singles from her number one album, Never Forever. This would also be her last top ten hit for five years.
(11) PAUL McCARTNEY – Waterfalls
The second single from his number one album, McCartney 2, peaked at nine in the charts.
(30) THE UNDERTONES – Wednesday Week
The follow-up to their biggest hit, My Perfect Cousin, became their second biggest hit when it made number 11.
(45) DEXY’S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS – There There My Dear
The follow-up to Geno peaked at number 7.
(1) OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN & ELO – Xanadu
The first of two weeks at the top of the charts for Olivia and ELO.
(29) CHANGE – A Lover’s Holiday
Playing over the credits is the first of two top 20 hits for Change in 1980.