I wish I could do the splits like Rod...
20-11-80: Presenter: Dave Lee Travis
(15) MOTÖRHEAD – Ace Of Spades
Getting the show off to the loudest start possible is Motorhead, but Ace of Spades got no higher than 15 in the charts.
(23) THE BOOMTOWN RATS – Banana Republic (video)
DLT suggested that this single looked for a while like it wouldn't make the top 30, but now it was in there it was heading for the top 3, although it would prove to be their last top ten or even top 20 hit. But another fine video from the Rats.
(18) DIANA ROSS – I’m Coming Out
This week's Legs & Co routine sees them all frilly and white dancing to Diana's third hit of 1980, this one peaking at 13.
(30) EDDY GRANT – Do You Feel My Love?
Over a year after Living on the Front Line, Eddy returns to the charts with what would become his first solo top ten hit when it made number 8.
(22) ROD STEWART – Passion (video)
Wow if Rod did the splits any further he'd do himself an injury I'm sure! This one peaked at 17.
(12) KOOL & THE GANG – Celebration ®
On its way towards the top ten.
(4) DENNIS WATERMAN with THE DENNIS WATERMAN BAND – I Could Be So Good For You ®
Unlucky Dennis keeps popping up on yewtreed editions and this single was now almost at its number 3 peak.
The Top Ten Rundown:
(10) STATUS QUO – What You’re Proposing (video)
(9) ORCHESTRAL MANOEUVRES IN THE DARK – Enola Gay (video)
(8) ADAM & THE ANTS – Dog Eat Dog (still picture)
(7) BAD MANNERS – Special Brew (still picture)
(6) STEPHANIE MILLS – Never Knew Love Like This Before (video)
(5) DAVID BOWIE – Fashion (video)
(4) DENNIS WATERMAN with THE DENNIS WATERMAN BAND – I Could Be So Good For You (clip of TOTP 6-11-80)
(3) BARBRA STREISAND – Woman In Love (video)
(2) ABBA – Super Trouper (video)
(1) BLONDIE – The Tide Is High (video)
The second and final week at the top for Blondie, their third number one of 1980.
(11) UB40 – The Earth Dies Screaming (crowd dancing) (and credits)
This went one place higher to make it three top ten hits for UB40 in 1980.