So whose Xmas jumper is the most special?
18-12-80: Presenter: Simon Bates
(31) THE BEAT – Too Nice To Talk To
A good year for The Beat - this became their fourth top ten hit when it made number 7. Can you spot the imposter from the Specials?
(2) ST. WINIFRED’S SCHOOL CHOIR – There’s No-One Quite Like Grandma ®
Surely they wouldn't dare to knock John Lennon off the top of the charts for Christmas, would they? So sad, but it was cut from tonight's 7.30 edition.
(27) THE BARRON KNIGHTS – Never Mind The Presents
It's nearly Xmas so here's another comedy medley from the Barron Knights - but this one was their final top 20 hit. And also cut from the 7.30 edition. But we do get to see 'special' guests Little and Large reminding us how un-pc 1980 comedy still was.
(34) THE SPECIALS – Do Nothing
Sporting very fashionable Xmas jumpers and having seemingly mugged Madness of their tartan trousers, Do Nothing became the fourth top ten hit of 1980 for The Specials when it reached number 4. Can you spot the imposter from The Beat?
(35) GARY NUMAN – This Wreckage
Taken from his number one album Telekon, but the single did't do as well, peaking at 20.
(33) ROBERT PALMER – Looking For Clues ®
Second time on the show but still couldn't make it into the top 30. And cut from the 7.30 showing.
(18) CHAS & DAVE – Rabbit
Turning the studio into a warren tonight, Rabbit became the boys' first top ten hit when it peaked at number 8. (Rabbit and pork = talk)
(39) THE NOLANS – Who’s Gonna Rock You
Helped by Santa on the drums, this song became the third hit from their Making Waves album, reaching number 12.
(3) JONA LEWIE – Stop The Cavalry ®
Couldn't quite march all the way to number one.
The Top Ten Rundown:
(10) ADAM & THE ANTS – Antmusic (video)
(9) THE STRAY CATS – Runaway Boys (video)
(8) SPANDAU BALLET – To Cut A Long Story Short (video)
(7) THE BOOMTOWN RATS – Banana Republic (video)
(6) MADNESS – Embarrassment (clip of TOTP 11-12-80)
(5) THE POLICE – De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da (video)
(4) ABBA – Super Trouper (video)
(3) JONA LEWIE – Stop The Cavalry (still picture)
(2) ST. WINIFRED’S SCHOOL CHOIR – There’s No-One Quite Like Grandma (clip of TOTP 4-12-80)
(1) JOHN LENNON – (Just Like) Starting Over (and credits)
Starting Over had originally peaked at number 8 at the end of November, and had dropped down to last week's 21. Here, Legs & Co pay tribute to the recently murdered John Lennon in a way that only they can, with a final frame over the credits of a shining star on top of a Christmas tree.
Next up should be the two Christmas specials, but sadly both will be skipped by BBC4 because of the presenters involved.
So then instead we move on to 1981 on Friday the 8th of January with 'The Story of' followed by 'Big Hits'.
And don't forget the annual Xmas edition of TOTP2 on BBC2 Saturday 12th December!