I wanna you to a getta used to a listening the words to a my song, Mr Ultravox!
05/02/81 (Simon Bates)
(35) Stray Cats – “Rock This Town”
The follow-up to Runaway Boys, and like its predecessor on its way to number 9. With some most enthusiastic audience dancing going on around them ~ but where are Legs & Co?
(5) Blondie – “Rapture” (video)
Now at its peak in the chart and it'll be nearly a year and a half before we see them again.
(17) Spandau Ballet – “The Freeze” (rpt from 22/01/81)
A little surprisingly this one froze at number 17 in the charts.
(19) Fred Wedlock – “The Oldest Swinger In Town”
A one hit wonder, making it to number 6. But edited out of the 7.30pm showing tonight. Booo!
(12) Rainbow – “I Surrender” (video)
The third and final of three top ten hits for the band, this one being the biggest hit reaching number 3. Also fell victim to the 7.30pm edit.
(11) Dire Straits – “Romeo & Juliet” (rpt from 15/01/81)
Heading towards its star crossed fate of number 8. But edited out of tonight's 7.30pm slot.
(28) XTC – “Sgt Rock (Is Going To Help Me)” (rpt from 22/01/81)
Soon to become the band's biggest hit to date before it halted at number 16.
(15) Cliff Richard – “A Little In Love” (video)
Already at its peak in the chart, but two much bigger hits were to come his way towards the end of the year.
(34) The Passions – “I’m In Love With A German Film Star”
This siouxsie and the banshees style pop noir looked very likely to be a really big hit but 25 was as good as it got.
(30) Joe Dolce Music Theatre – “Shaddap You Face”
Whereas this Australian number one from Italy didn't look very likely to be a really big hit...... A live vocal though, with audience participation, always impressive to see.
(1) John Lennon – “Woman” (video)
In true Beatles fashion John replaces himself at the top of the charts, but its a different video to the one shown last week - not featuring some of the more controversial stills....... and the credits roll over it.
Next up then is the 12th February 1981 with Richard Skinner.