We are going to be big!
18/06/81 (Peter Powell) (rpt UK Gold)
(32) Linx – “Throw Away The Key”
Linx get the show off to a Britfunk start with the follow up to Intuition, though it wasn't as successful, peaking at number 21.
(27) Phil Collins – “If Leaving Me Is Easy” (rpt from 04/06/81)
On its way to number 17.
(6) Odyssey – “Going Back To My Roots”
A lively studio performance of the trio's penultimate top ten hit, now almost at its number 4 peak.
(22) Kool & The Gang – “Take It To The Top” (Legs & Co)
Legs & Co 'are still with us' after their week off, and are sporting a sort of gypsy look for their routine to Take it to the Top, which made it to number 15.
(5) Champaign – “How ‘Bout Us” (video)
At its chart peak now. And edited out of tonight's 7.30pm showing.
(23) Siouxsie & The Banshees – “Spellbound” (rpt from 04/06/81)
Went up just one place more. Also edited out of the 7.30pm slot.
(21) The Specials – “Ghost Town” (video)
Few songs capture their time as successfully as this one ~ the summer of 1981, the riots, the unemployment, the doom, the despair - this record is a time capsule, a reminder of how bleak this period actually was. It would go all the way to number one of course.
(19) Imagination – “Body Talk”
A new and a little more modest studio performance here of Body Talk, still heading towards the top ten.
(1) Smokey Robinson – “Being With You” (video/credits)
Second and final week at number one for Smokey, taken from his top 20 album of the same name.
Next up is the edition from June 25th 1981.