From the start, Martin wanted to be remembered as a golden oldie
18-2-82: Presenter: Mike Read
(26) MADNESS – Cardiac Arrest
This ended a run or nine consecutive top ten his for Madness when it peaked at number 14.
(14) GEORGE BENSON – Never Give Up On A Good Thing (video)
Oddly enough, this one also peaked at number 14. And my first guess to be a victim of the 7.30pm edit!
(42) UB40 – I Won’t Close My Eyes
Their least successful single to this point, peaking at 32.
(52) ABC – Poison Arrow
This follow up to Tears Are Not Enough became the band's first of three top ten hits to emerge from their huge number one album, The Lexicon of Love, when it made number 6.
(28) THE JETS – Love Makes The World Go Round ®
Cruising towards a height of number 21 in the charts ~ and my second guess for the 7.30pm edit.
(47) ROBERT PALMER – Some Guys Have All The Luck
A breakthrough at last for Mr Palmer, this record became his first top 30 hit and it peaked at number 16.
(6) TIGHT FIT – The Lion Sleeps Tonight
Not quite a week away from the number one spot. A week away? No, two week away.
(24) TONI BASIL – Mickey
Dancer Toni Basil was pushing 40 years old when she took this Racey cover (originally titled Kitty) to number 2.
Now, for one week only, we get a late 1980 style top ten rundown:
(10) XTC – Senses Working Overtime (clip of TOTP 21-1-82)
(9) MEAT LOAF – Dead Ringer For Love (video)
(8) CHRISTOPHER CROSS – Arthur’s Theme (Best That You Can Do) (video)
(7) SHAKIN’ STEVENS – Oh Julie (video)
(6) TIGHT FIT – The Lion Sleeps Tonight (video)
(5) KRAFTWERK – The Model (video)
(4) ORCHESTRAL MANOEUVRES IN THE DARK – Maid Of Orleans (The Waltz Of Joan Of Arc) (video)
(3) SOFT CELL – Say Hello Wave Goodbye (video)
(2) THE STRANGLERS – Golden Brown (video)
(1) THE JAM – Precious
(1) THE JAM – Town Called Malice (and credits)
And so not only had The Jam entered the chart at number one last week, they also get the ultra rare honour of performing two songs on the same show! When was the last time that had happened? And when would be the next?
The next edition is February 25th, but that one is hosted by DLT so will be skipped by BBC4. So next up then is the live edition from March 4th 1982.